Our History

History of the Club


Whitehead RFC was founded in 1936 by the employees of the Whitehead Iron and Steel company in Newport. They have always played their rugby at Bassaleg, although until the end of the 60s, their spiritual home and HQ was at the steel companies social club on Cardiff Road, known at the Courtybella. This was for one very important reason.


Bassaleg did not sell any beer! It is also interesting to know that the Courtybella was a men only and became one of the last clubs in South Wales to allow women to become members.


The Rugby Club has enjoyed many honours in its 70 year history:


District cup winners 4 times 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951

Runners Up 1969 & 2004

Two invincible seasons 1953 & 1966

District club of the Year 1996 & 2008

Welsh Internationals and British Lions Bobby Windsor and Charlie Faulkner who were part of the legendary Pontypool front row played at Whitehead

In 1970 Tommy Doherty and Brian Flook became Welsh District Internationals

In 1979 / 80 Graham Berry and Lyndon Fisher achieved Welsh District Honours

In 2018, Aaron Wainwright became the latest club member to be selected for Wales, making his debut on the tour to Argentina. Having not played rugby until 17 years old he started at Whitehead Youth before moving on to Cardiff Met RFC and in 2021/22 season is a valued member of the seniors coaching team.

Whitehead has a great touring tradition and in 1951 was the first Welsh District Club to embark on a tour to France. This tradition continues today with every member eagerly awaiting the end of season tour.

In 2017 Whitehead RFC won the District Plate final at Rodney parade, the first silverware at the club at senior level for a long time.

In 2018 Whitehead were victorious in a close battle for Division 3C East and were promoted to Division 3B East and currently compete in this league.